The Lake Mohawk Golf Club recently took home the Bronze, Silver, and Gold at the 2021 New Jersey State Fair and Sussex County Farm & Horse Show.
Entries by Tim Burton’s club staff gardeners (and the Women’s Association Garden Club advisors), Holly Gouger and Jill Cadorin, in the state fair’s Flower and Garden Show competition, “America the Beautiful,” merited several ribbons.
While their beautiful planters have represented the Lake Mohawk Golf Club at the fair since 2017 in the professional and artistic divisions, this year’s recognition was a record for the club: one first-place award, three second-place awards, and one third-place award.
Their award-winning work is currently on display in the window alcoves along the club’s patio.
‘50 Shades of Green’
Chris Ely chaired the Member Guest Tournament along with support from Carol Gordon, Laurie Healy, and Carol Kozy. The theme “50 Shades of Green” was enhanced by planters on the tables containing herbs from Esther Kashkin’s garden and balloons in different shades of green festooning the foyer and dining room. Members and Guests took home an array of herbs.
A delicious lunch buffet carried the theme forward with greens for lunch with chicken, tuna canapes, salmon and green decorated golf ball cupcakes for dessert.
Green was the golf attire for the day; players even trimmed their carts in green. Ty Hayes, Head Golf Professional, led the golfers on a best ball format.
● Closest to the pin (member) — Barbara Rice
● Closest to the pin (guest) — Sallie Palm
● Longest drive (member) — Debbie Marcellus
● Longest drive (guest) — Ally Zimmerman
● First-place gross — Suzanne Sullivan, Cindy Leppert, Kristen Sullivan and Elizabeth Kunesch
● First-place net — Carol Gordon, Andrew Linskey, Lori Healy, Sheila Stewart
● Second-place net — Melva Cummings, Dotty Labar, Paige Levatino and Claire Briegel
● Third-place net — Debbie Marcellus, Jannie Pelcher, Pam Keefer, Cathy Dorego
● Fourth-place net — Chris Ely, Leslie Plifka, Sallie Palm
The day concluded with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres celebrating the winners.